TRANSPLANTATION OF HUMAN ORGANS AND TISSUES (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2023
ACT NO. XXIX OF 2023
An Act to amend the Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues Act, 2010
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part-I, 21st June, 2023]
No. F.23(66)/2018-Legis.–The following Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) received the assent of the President on the 20th June, 2023 is hereby published for general information:-
WHEREAS, it is expedient to amend the Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues Act, 2010 (VI of 2010), for the purposes hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
- Short Title and Commencement.–(1) This Act shall be called the Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues (Amendment) Act, 2023.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
- Insertion of new Section 4A, Act VI of 2010.–In the Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues Act, 2010 (VI of 2010), after Section 4, the following new section shall be inserted, namely:-
“4A. Provision for donation of human organs or tissues after accidental death.–(1) The authority issuing a driving
licence shall make a provision at the first page of a driving licence in the form of an undertaking for obtaining consent of applicant of such driving licence regarding donation of human organs or tissues in case of accidental death of the holder of such driving licence.
(2) Whoever apply for a driving licence may opt for signing the undertaking as provided in sub-section (1) consenting that his organs or tissues may be transplanted to any person in need of such human organs or tissues in case of accidental death of the signatory to be removed by the nearest authorized medical institution or hospital duly recognized by the Monitoring Authority.
(3) The Monitoring Authority, driving licence issuing authority or such other authorities in the field of public health shall publicize the importance to be a deceased donor for the welfare of humanity from different scientific and religious aspects so that people may contribute through their voluntary donations of organs and tissues in case of accidental death.”