The Christian Marriage Act, 1872

(XV OF 1872)

[18th July, 1872]



to consolidate and amend the law relating to the solemnization of the marriage of Christians.

Preamble.— Whereas  it  is  expedient  to  consolidate  and  amend  the  law  relating  to  the solemnization of the marriage of persons professing the Christian religion: It is hereby enacted as follows:—


1. Short title, extend, commencement.— This Act may be called  the Christian Marriage Act, 1872.

It  extends  to the  whole  of  Pakistan  and,  so  far  only  as  regards  Christian  citizens of Pakistan to the Acceding States.

[Repealed by the Repealing Act, XVI of 1874].

2. [Enactments repealed] .— Rep. By the Repealing Act, 1938 (I of 1938). S. 2 and Sch.

3. Interpretations.— In  this  Act,  unless  there  is  something  repugnant  in  the subject or context:—

“Church of England” and “Anglican” mean and apply to the Church of England as by law established:—

“Church  of  Scotland”  means  the  Church  of  Scotland  as  by  law  established;  “Church of Rome” and “Roman Catholic” mean and apply  to  the Church which  regards  the Pope of Rome as its spiritual head;

“Church” includes any chappel or other building generally used for public Christian worship;

“minor” means a person who has not completed  the age of  twenty one years and who is not a widower or a widow;

the expression “Christians” means persons professing the Christian religion;

and  the  expression  “Native Christians”  includes  the Christian  descendants of Natives  of Indo-Pakistan sub-continent converted to Christianity, as well as such converts;

“Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages” means a Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages appointed under the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act, 1886.



4. Marriages to be solemnized according to Act.— Every marriage between persons,  one or  both  of  whom  is  or  are  a  Christian  or  Christians,  shall  be  solemnized  in accordance with the provisions of next following section; and any such marriage solemnized otherwise  than  in accordance with such provisions shall be void.

5. Persons by whom marriages may be solemnized.— Marriage  may  be solemnized in Pakistan.

(1) by any person  who   has   received   Episcopal  ordination,   provided   that  the marriage be solemnized   according   to   the   rules,   rites,   ceremonies   and  customs  of  the Church of which he is a minister;

(2) by  any  Clergyman  of  the  church  of  Scotland,  provided  that  such  marriage  be solemnized   according   to   the   rules   rites,  ceremonies  customs  of  the Church of Scotland;

(3) by any Minister of Religion licensed under this Act ot solemnize marriage;

(4) by, or in the presence of a Marriage Registrar appointed under this Act;

(5) by   any   person   licensed   under   this   Act   to   grant   certificates   of  marriage between Native Christians.

6. Grant and revocation of licenses to solemnize marriage.— The  Provincial Government so far as regards the territories under   its   administration,   and the Central Government so far as regards any Acceding  State  may,   by  notification   in   the  official Gazette,   grant   licenses to   Ministers   of   Religion to solemnize marriages within such territories and State, respectively, and may by a like notification, revoke such licenses.

7. Marriage Registrars.— The   Provincial   Government   may   appoint   one   or more Christians,   either   by  name   or   as   holding  any  office   for   any  district   subject  to  its administration.

Senior marriage  Registrars. Where  there  are more marriage Registrars  than one  in any district,   the Provincial Government shall   appoint   one   of   them   to   be   the   Senior Marriage Registrar.

Magistrate when to be Marriage Registrar. When  there is only one Marriage Registrar  in  a district,  and  such Registrar  is  absent  from such district,  or,  ill,  or when his office  is  temporarily vacant,  the  Magistrate  of  the  district  shall  act,  as,  and  be,  Marriage Registrar  thereof during such absence, illness or temporary vacancy.

8. Marriage  Registrars  in  Acceding  States.— The  Central  Government  may,  by notification    in    the official Gazette appoint any Christian, either by name or as wholding  any office  for  the  time  being,    to  be  a  Marriage  Registrar  in  respect  of  any  district or place within any Acceding State.

9. Licensing of persons to grant certificates of marriage between Native Christians.- The  Provincial Government  or  (so  far  as  regards  and  Acceding State) the  Central Government  may  grant  a   license  to  any  Christian,  either  by  name  or  as  holding any  office for   the   time   being,   authorizing   him   to   grant   certificate   of  marriage   between  Native Christians.

Any  such  license  may  be  revoked  by  the  authority  by  which  it was  granted,  and every such grant or revocation shall be notified in the official Gazette.



10. Time for solemnizing marriage.—Every marriage  under this  Act  shall  be  solemnized between the hours of six in the morning and seven in the evening:—

Provided that nothing in this section shall apply to,—

(1) a Clergyman of the Church of England solemnizing a marriage under a special license  permitting  him  to  do  so  at any  hour other  than between  six in  the  morning  and  seven in  the  evening,  under  the  hand  and  seal of  the Anglican Bishop of the Commissary, or

(2) a Clergyman  of  the  Church  of Rome  solemnizing  a  marriage  between  the hours of   seven   in   the   evening   and   six   in   the  morning,  when   he   has received   a   general  or special   license   in   that  behalf   from   the  Roman Catholic  Bishop  of  the  Diocese  or  Vicariate in  which  such marriage  is  so solemnized,   or   from  such  person  as   the  same  Bishop  has authorized  to grant such license, or

(3) a Clergyman of the  church  of  Scotland  solemnizing  a  marriage  according to the rule, rites, ceremonies and customs of the Church of Scotland.

11. Place of solemnizing marriage.— No  clergyman  of  the  Church  of  England  shall solemnize   a  marriage   in  any  place  other   than  a  church,  where  worship   is generally held according to the forms of the church of England:—

unless  he  has  received  a  special  license  authorizing  him  to  do  so  under  the hand and seal of the Anglican Bishop of the Diocese or his Commissary.

Fee for special license. For such special license, the Registrar of the Diocese may charge such  additional  fee  as   the  said  Bishop  from  time  to  time authorizes.



12. Notice of intended marriage.— Whenever  a  marriage   is   intended   to  be solemnized by  a  Minister  of Religion  licensed  to  solemnize  marriage  under  this  Act,  one of  the   persons intending  marriage   shall   give   notice   in   writing   according   to   the   form contained   in   the First  Schedule   hereto   annexed,   or   the   like   effect,   to   the  Minister  of Religion whom he or she desires to solemnize the marriage, and shall state therein:—

(a) the name and surname, and the  profession  or condition, of  each  of  the persons intending marriage.

(b) The dwelling-place of each of them.

(c) The time during which each has dwelt there, and

(d) The Church or private dwelling  in which the marriage  is  to be solemnized:—

Provided that,  if  either of  such  persons  has  dwelt  in  the  place  mentioned  in  the notice during more  than  one  month,  it may  be  stated  therein  that  he  or  she  has  dwelt there one month and upwards.

13. Publication  of  such  notice.— If  the  persons  intending  marriage  desire  it  to be solemnized  in  a  particular  Church  and  if  the  Minister  of  Religion  to  whom  such  notice  has been  delivered  be  entitled  to  officiate  therein,  he  shall  cause  the  notice  to  be  affixed in some conspicuous part of such Church.

Return or transfer of notice. But if he is not entitled to officiate as a Minister in such church,  he  shall,  at  his  option,  either  return  the  notice  to  the  person who  delivered  it to him, or   deliver   it   to   some   other  Minister   entitled   to   officiate   therein   who   shall  thereupon cause the notice to be affixed as aforesaid.

14. Notice of intended marriage in private dwelling.— If  it  be  intended  that the  marriage shall  be  solemnized  in  a  private  dwelling;  Minister  of  Religion,  on  receiving  the   notice prescribed    in   section  15   shall   forward   it   to   the  Marriage   Registrar   of   the district, who shall affix the same to some conspicuous place in his own office.

15. Sending copy of notice to Marriage Registrar when one party is a minor.— When one  of  the  persons  intending marriage  is  a  minor,  every Minister  receiving such  notice   shall, unless  within   twenty-four  hours   after  its  receipt  he  returns   the  same under  the  provisions of  section  13,  send  by  the  post  or  otherwise  a  copy of such notice  to the  Marriage  Registrar of    the   district,   or,   if  there   be  more   than  one   Registrar   of  such  district,  to  the Senior Marriage Registrar.

16. Procedure  on  receipt  of  notice.— The  Marriage  Registrar,  as  the  case may be, on receiving  any  such  notice,   shall  affix  it   to  some  conspicuous  place   in  his  own office  and the  latter  shall  further  cause  a  copy  of  the  said  notice  to  be  sent  to  each  of  the  other Marriage  Registrar  in  the  same  district,  who  shall  likewise  publish  the  same  in  the manner above directed.

17. Issue  of  certificate  of notice  given and declaration made.— Any Minister of Religion consenting  or  intending  to  solemnize  any  such marriage  as  aforesaid,  shall on being  required so  to  do  by  or  on behalf of  the  person by whom  the  notice was  given,  and upon  one   of   the persons   intending  marriage  making  the   declaration  hereinafter   required  issue   under   his hand  a  certificate  of  such  notice  having  been  given  and  of  declaration having been made.


(1) that no such  certificate shall  be issued until  the  expiration  of  four days after  the date of the notice by such Minister;

(2) that no lawful  impediment be shown to  his satisfaction  why  such certificate should not issue;  and

(3) that the issue of certificate has not been forbidden, in   manner hereinafter mentioned, by any person authorized.

18. Declaration before issue of certificate.— The certificate mentioned in section 17 shall not  be  issued  until one  of  the  persons  intending marriage  has  appeared personally before the Minister and made a solemn declaration,—

(a) that  he  or  she  believes  that  there  is  not  any  impediment  of kindred   or   affinity or   other   lawful  hindrance   to   the   said marriage,  and  when  either  ore  both  of the parties  is or are minor or minors.

(b) That  the  consent  or  consents  required  by  law  has  or  have been  obtained  there is  no  person  resident  in  Pakistan  having authority  to  give  such  consent,  as  the case may be.

19. Consent of father  or  guardian  or  mother.— The  father,  if  living,  of  any minor,  or  if, the  father  be  dead,  the  guardian  of  such minor,  and  in  case  there  be  no  such guardian  then the mother  of  such minor, may  give  consent  to  the minor’s marriage, and   such   consent   is hereby   required   for   the same marriage unless no person authorized  to give such consent be resident in Pakistan.

20. Power  to prohibit by notice issue of certificate.— Every  person  whose consent   to  a marriage   is   required   under   section  19  is  hereby  authorized  to  prohibit  the  issue  of  the certificate  by  any  Minister,  at  any  time  before  the  issue  of  the  same,  by  notice  in  writing  to such  Minister,  subscribed  by  the  person  so  authorized  with  his  or  her  name  and  place  of abode  and  position  with  respect  to  either  of  the  persons  intending  marriage  by  reason  of which he or she is so authorized as aforesaid.

21. Procedure on  receipt  of  notice.— If  any  such  notice  be  received  by  such Minster  he shall   not  issue  his  certificate  and  shall  not  solemnize  the  said  marriage  until  he  has examined   into   the   matter   of    the   said   prohibition,   and   is   satisfied   that   the   person prohibiting  the marriage  has  not  lawful  authority  for  such  prohibition, or  until  the said  notice  is withdrawn by the person who gave it.

22. Issue of certificate in case of minority.— When  either   of  the   persons  intending marriage   is   a minor,   and   the  Minister   is   not   satisfied   that   the   consent   of  the person whose  consent  to  such  marriage  is  required  by  section  19  has  been  obtained,  such Minister shall   not   issue   such  certificate until   the   expiration  of   fourteen  days   after   the receipt by him of the notice of marriage.

23. Issue of certificate to Native Christians.— When  any  Native   Christian about  to  be married  takes  notice  of  marriage  to  a  Minister  of  Religion,  or  applies  for  a certificate   from such  Minister  under  section  17,   such  Minister  shall,  before  issuing  the certificate  ascertain whether   such  Native  Christian  is  cognizant  of  the  purport  and  effect of  the  said  notice  or certificate,  as  the  case may be, and,  if not, shall translate or cause  to be  translated  the  notice or  certificate  to  such Native  Christian  into  some  language  which he understands.

24. Form of  certificate.— The  certificate  to  be  issued  by  such Minister  shall be in the form contained in the Second Schedule hereto annexed, or to the like effect.

25. Solemnization  of  marriage.— After  the  issue  of  the  certificate  by  Minister, marriage may    be   solemnized   between   the   persons   therein  described   according  to   such  form or ceremony as the Minister thinks fit to adopt:—

Provided  that  the  marriage  be  solemnized  in  the  presence  of  at  least  two  witnesses besides the Minister.

26. Certificates void if marriage not solemnized within two months.— Whenever  a marriage  is  not  solemnized  with  two  months  after  the  date  of  the  certificate  issued  by  such Minister  as  aforesaid  such  certificate  and  all proceedings  (if any),  thereon shall be void.

And no person shall proceed to solemnize the said marriage until new notice has been given and a certificate thereof issued in the manner aforesaid.



27. Marriages when to be registered.— All  marriages  hereafter  solemnized  in Pakistan between   persons   one   or   both   of   whom   professes   or   profess   the   Christian religion, except  marriages  solemnized  under  Part  V  or  Part  VI  of  this Act,  be  registered  in the manner hereinafter prescribed.

28. Registration of marriages solemnized by Clergymen of Church of England.— Every Clergymen  of  the  Church  of  England  shall  keep  a  register  of  marriages and   shall  register therein,  according  to  the  tabular  form  set  forth  in  the  Third  Schedule hereto, annexed, every marriage which he solemnizes under this Act.

29. Quarterly returns to Archdeaconry.— Every  Clergyman  of  the  Church  of  England shall  send   four   times   in  every  year   return  in  duplicate,  authenticated  by  his signature,  of the   entries   in  the   register  of  marriages  solemnized  any  place  where  he  has any   spiritual charge,   to   the  Registrar  of  the  Archdeaconry  to  which  he  is  subject,  or tithing the limits of which such place is situate.

Contents  of returns.    Such   quarterly   returns    shall   contain   all   the    entries   of marriages  contained  in  the  said  register  form  the  first  day  of  January  to  the  thirty-first  day of March  from  the  first  day  of  April  to  the  thirtieth  day  of  June,  from  the  first  day  of July  to  the thirtieth  day  of  September,  and  from  the   first  day  of  October  to  the  thirty-first  day of December,  of  each  year  respectively,  and  shall  be  sent  by  such Clergyman within  two weeks from the expiration of each of the quarters above specified.

The  said  Registrar  upon  receiving  the  said  returns  shall  send  one  copy  thereof  to the Registrar General of Birth Deaths and Marriages.

30. Registration and returns of marriages solemnized by clergymen of Church of Rome.— Every  marriage   solemnized  by  a  Clergyman  of  the  Church  of  Rome  shall  be registered  by  the   person  and  according  to  the  form  directed  in  that  behalf  by  the Roman Catholic Bishop of the   Diocese or Vicariate, in which such marriage is solemnized, and  such  person  shall  forward  quarterly  to  the  Register  General    of  Births,  Deaths and Marriages   returns  of  the  entries  of  all  marriages  registered  by  him  during  the  three months next preceding.

31. Registration  and returns of marriages solemnized  by Clergymen  of Church  of Scotland.— Every  Clergymen  of  the  Church  of  Scotland  shall  keep  a  register  of marriages, and   shall register therein, according to the tabular form set forth in the Third Schedule hereto annexed, every marriage which he solemnizes under this Act, and shall forward quarterly to the Registrar General of Births, Death and Marriages, through   the Senior Chaplain of the Church of Scotland,   returns, similar  to those prescribed in section 29, of all such marriages.

32. Certain marriages to be registered in duplicate.— Every marriage solemnized by any person   who   has   received   episcopal   ordination,   but   who   is   not   a Clergyman  of  the Church  of England,  or  of  the  Church  of Rome,  or  by  any Minister  of Religion   licensed   under this   Act   to   solemnize  marriages,   shall,   immediately   after   the solemnization   thereof   be registered   in  duplicated   by   the   same;   (that   is   to  say)   in   a marriage   register-book   to be   kept   by   him   for   that   purpose,    according    to   the   form  contained  in  the  Fourth Schedule  hereto  annexed  and  also  in  a  certificate  attached  to  be marriage-register-book as a counterfoil.

33. Entries of such marriages to be signed and attested.— The  entry of such marriage in  both  the  certificate  and  marriage-register-book  shall  be  signed  by  the  person solemnizing the   marriage,  and  also  by  the  persons  married  and  shall  be  attested  by  two  credible witnesses, other than the person solemnizing the marriage, present at its solemnization.

Every such entry shall  be  made   in  order  from  the  beginning  to   the  end  of  the book, and   the  number  of  the  certificate  shall  correspond  with  that  of  the  entry  in  the marriage, register-book.

34. Certificate to be forwarded to Marriage Registrar, copied and sent to Registrar General.— The   person   solemnizing   the  marriage   shall   forthwith   separate   the certificate from  the   marriage-register-book   and   send   it,   within  one   month  from  the  time of  the solemnization,  to  the  Marriage Registrar  of  the  district  in which  the  marriage  was solemnized, or,   if  there  be  more  Marriage Registrars   than  one,   to   the  Senior  Marriage Registrar, who shall cause  such  certificate  to  be  copied  into  a  book  to  be  kept by him  for that purpose.

And shall send all the certificates which he has received  during  the  month,  with  such number    and    signature or initials added thereto as are hereinafter required, to the Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

35. Copies  of  certificates  to  be  entered  and numbered.— Such copies shall be entered in  order  from  the  beginning  to  the  end  of  the  said  book  and  shall  bear  both  the number  of the   certificate   as   copied   and   also   a   number   to   be  entered  by  the  Marriage Registrar indicating  the  number  of  the  entry  of  the  said  copy  in  the  said  book,  according to the order in which he receives each certificate.

36. Registrar  to  add  number of  entry  to  certificate  and  send  to  Registrar General.— The  Marriage  Registrar  shall  also  add  such  last mentioned  number  of  the  entry of  the  in  the book  to  the  certificate, with  his  signature  or  initials,  and  shall,  at  the  end  of every month send the same to the Registrar General of birth Deaths and Marriages.

37. Registration of marriages between Native Christians by persons  referred to clauses (1), (2) and (3)of section 5.— When  any marriage  between  Native Christians   is solemnized   by   any   such   person,   Clergyman   or  Minister  of  Religion  as   is referred  to  in clause  (1) clause  (2) or  clause  (30  of  section  5,  the  person  solemnizing  the  same   shall, instead   of  proceeding  in  the  manner  provided  by  sections  28 to 36, both inclusive,  register the  marriage  in  a  separate  register-book,  and  shall  keep  it  safely  until  it is   filled,  or,  if  he leaves  the  district  in  which  he  solemnized  the  marriage  before  the  said book  is  filled,  shall make  over  the  same  to  the  person succeeding  to  his duties  in the said district.

Custody  and  disposal  of  register-book. Whoever  has  the  control of  the  book  at  the time when  it  is  filled,  shall  send  it  to  the  Marriage  Registrar  of  the  district,  or,  if  there  be more Marriage  Registrars  than  one,   to  Senior  Marriage  Registrar,  who  shall  send   it  to Registrar General  of  Birth,  Deaths  and  Marriages,  to  be  kept  by  kept  by  him  with  the records of his office.



38. Notice of intended marriage before Marriage Registrar.— When   a marriage   is intended   to   be   solemnized   by,   or   in  the  presence  of,  a  Marriage  Registrar, one,  of  the parties  to  such   marriage  shall  give  notice  in  writing,  in  the  form  contained  in  the  First Schedule  hereto  annexed,  or  to  the  like  effect,  to  any Marriage Registrar  of  the District within which the parties have dwelt;

or  if  the  parties  dwell  in  different  district,  shall  give  the  like  notice  to  a  Marriage Registrar of each district,

and  shall  state  therein  the  name  and  surname,  and  the  profession  or  condition,  of each   of   the   parties intending marriage,   the   dwelling-place   of   each   of   them,   the   time during   which   each   has dwelt  therein,   and   the   place at which the marriage is  to be solemnized.

Provided  that,  if  either  party  has  dwelt  in  the  place  stated  in  the  notice  for more than one month,  it may  be  stated  therein  that  he  or  she  has  dwelt  there one month and upwards.

39. Publication of notice.— Every  Marriage  Registrar  shall,  on  receiving  any such notice, cause a copy thereof to be affixed in some conspicuous place in his office.

When   one   of   the   parties   intending  marriage   is  minor,   every  Marriage  Registrar shall,  within  twenty-four   hours   after   the   receipt  by  him  of  the   notice   of  such  marriage,

send,  by  post  of  otherwise,  a  copy of such notice  to  each of  the  other Marriage Registrars (if any) in  the  same  district  who  shall  likewise  affix  the  copy  in  some  conspicuous  place in his own office.

40. Notice to be filed and copy entered in Marriage Notice Book.— The Marriage Registrar shall file all such notices and keep them with the records of his office.

And   shall  also   forthwith  enter   a   true   copy  of  all  such  notices  in  a  book  to  be furnished   to   him   for   that   purpose   by   the  Provincial  Government  and   to  be  called   the “Marriage Notice Book”, And  the  marriage  Notice  Book  shall  be  open  at  all  reasonable  times,  without  fee,  to a persons desirous of inspecting the same.

41. Certificate of notice given  and  oath  made.— If  the  party  by  whom  the notice  was given  requests   the  Marriage  Registrar   to  issue  the  certificate  next  hereinafter mentioned, and   if  one  of  the  parties   intending  marriage  has  made  oath  as  hereinafter required,  the Marriage   Register   shall   issue   under   his   hand   a   certificate   of  such  notice having been given and of such oath having been made:—

Proviso provided,—

That no lawful impediment be shown to his satisfaction why such certificate  should  not issue;

That   the   issue   of   such   certificate   has   not  been  forbidden  in  manner  hereinafter mentioned, by any person authorized in that behalf by this Act;

That four days after the receipt of the notice have expired, and further, That four days after the receipt of the notice have expired, and further,

That  where,  by  such  oath  it  appears  that  one  of  the  parties  intending marriage  is  a minor, fourteen days after the entry of such notice have expired.

42. Oath  before issue of  certificate.— The  certificate mentioned  in section 41 shall not  be

issued  by  any  Marriage  Registrar,  until  one  of  the  parties  intending  marriage appears personally before such Marriage Registrar, and makes oath-(a) that he or she believes that  there is not any  impediment  of  kindred   or affinity, or other lawful hindrance, to the said Marriage and

(b) that both the parties have, or (where   they  have dwelt   in  the   district  of different Marriage  Registrars)   that   the  party  making  such  oath  has,  had their,  his or  her  usual place  of abode  within  the district  of such marriage Registrar.

And, where either or each of the parties is a minor,—

(c) that  the  consent or  consents  to  such marriage  required  by  law  has  or  have been obtained thereto, or that there is no person resident in Pakistan authorized  to give such consent, as the case may be.

43. [Petition to High Court to order certificate in less than fourteen days].— omitted by A.O., 1949, Schedule.

44. Consent of father or guardian. Protest against issue of certificate.— The provision of  section  19  apply  to  every  marriage  under  this  Part,  either  of  the  parties  to which  is  a minor; and   any   person  whose   consent   to   such  marriage  would   be   required   thereunder may  enter  a  protest  against  the  issue  of  the Marriage Registrar’s  certificate,  by writing,  at any time  before  the   issue  of  such  certificate,  the  word  “forbidden”  opposite  to  the  entry  of  the notice  of  such  intended  marriage   in  the  Marriage  Notice  Book,  and  by  subscribing thereto his  or  her  name  and  place  of  abode,  and  his  or  her  position  with  respect  to  either  of  the parties, by reason of which her or she is so authorized.

Effect to protest. When  such  protest  has  been  entered,  no  certificate  shall  issue until the  Marriage  Registrar  has  examined  into  the  matter  of  the  protest,  and  is  satisfied  that  it ought  not  to  obstruct  the  issue  of  the  certificate  for  the  said marriage,  or  until  the protest be withdrawn by the person who entered it.

45. Petition where person whose consent is necessary is insane, or unjustly withholds consent.— If  any  person  whose  consent  is  necessary  to  any  marriage under this part  is of unsound  mind, or if any such person (other than the father) without just cause withholds his consent  to  the marriage, the  parties,  intending marriage may  apply  by  petition,  to  the  District Judge.

Procedure on petition. And the said District Judge may examine the allegations of the petition in a summary way:—

And, if upon examination such marriage appears proper, such District judge shall declare the marriage to be a proper marriage.

Such  declaration  shall  be  as  effectual as  if  the  person whose  consent was  needed had consented to the marriage;

And, if he has forbidden   the   issue   of  the   Marriage   Registrar’s   certificate,   such certificate  shall be  issued  and  the  like  proceeding may  be had under  this Part  in relation to the Marriage as if the issue of such certificate had not been forbidden.

46. Petition where Marriage Registrar refuses certificate.— Whenever a Marriage Registrar refuses to issue a certificate under this Part, either of the parties intending marriage may apply by petition to the District Judge.

Procedure on petition. The said District Judge may examine the allegations of the petition in a summary way, and shall decide thereon.

The decision  of  such District Judge  shall  be  final,  and  the  Marriage  Registrar  to whom the  application  for  the  issue  of  a  certificate  was  originally made  shall proceed  in accordance therewith.

47. Petition when Marriage Registrar in Acceding State refuses certificate.— Whenever a  Marriage  Registrar   resident   in  any  Acceding  State  refuses  to issue  his  certificate  either of  the  parties  intending marriage  may  apply  by  petition  to  the Central Government, who shall decide thereon.

Such  decision  shall  be  final,  and  the  Marriage  Registrar  to  whom  the  application was originally made shall proceed in accordance therewith.

48. Petition when Registrar doubts authority of person forbidding.— Procedure   on petition.  Whenever a Marriage Registrar, acting under the provisions of section 44, is do, the said

Marriage Registrar shall apply by petition,  to  the District Judge. The said petition  shall  state all the circumstances of  the case, and  pray  for  the order and direction of the Court concerning the same.

And the said District judge shall examine into the allegations of the petition and the said circumstances of the case:—

And  if,  upon  such  examination,  it  appears  that  the  person  forbidding  the  issue  of such certificate   is   not  authorized  by  law  so  to  do,  such  District  Judge  shall  declare  that  the person forbidding the issue of such certificate is not authorized as aforesaid,

And thereupon  such  certificate shall  be  issued,  and  the  like  proceedings may  be had in relation to such marriage as if the issue had not been forbidden.

Reference when Marriage  Registrar  in  Acceding  State  doubts  authority  of  person forbidding.  Whenever a Marriage Registrar  appointed  under  section 8 to act within any Acceding  State   is  not  satisfied    that   the  person  forbidding  the   issue  of  the  certificate is authorized  by  law  so  to  do,  the  said  Marriage  Registrar  shall  send  a  statement  of  all  the circumstances   of   the   case,   together  with  all  documents   relating   thereto   to   the  Central Government.

Procedure on reference. If it appears to the Central Government that the person forbidding   the   issue  of  such  certificate   is  not  authorized  by  law  so   to   do,   the  Central Government   shall  declare   that   the  person  forbidding  the   issue  of  such  certificate   is  not authorized as aforesaid,

And thereupon  such  certificate shall  be  issued,  and  the  like  proceedings may  be had in relation to such Marriage as if the issue of the certificate had not been forbidden.

49. Liability of frivolous protest against issue of certificate.— Every  person entering  a protest  with  the  Marriage  Registrar,  under  this  Part  against  the  issue  of any certificate,  on grounds   which   such  marriage  Registrar;   under   section  44   or   the   District Judge,  under section 45  or  46,  declares  to  be  frivolous  and  such  as  ought not  to  obstruct the   issue  of  the certificate,   shall   be   liable   for   the   costs   of   all   proceedings   in  relation  thereto  and  for damages,  to  be  recovered  by  suit  by  the  person  against  whose  marriage such protest was entered.

50. Form of certificate.— The  certificate  to  be  issued  by  the Marriage Registrar under the provisions   of  provisions   of  section  41   shall  be   in  the   form  contained   in  the Second Schedule to this Act annexed or to the like effect, and  the Provincial   Government shall furnish to every Marriage   Registrar a sufficient number of certificates.

51. Solemnization  of  marriage after  issue of  certificate.— After  the  issue  of the certificate of the Marriage Registrar, or,  where  notice  is  required  to  be  given  under  this  Act  to the  Marriage  Registrars for   different   districts,   after   the   issue   of   the   certificates,   of  the Marriage  Registrars   for such districts, Marriage  may,   if   there   be  no   lawful  impediment   to the  marriage   of  the   parties described   in   such   certificate   or   certificates,   be   solemnized between  them,  according  to such form and ceremony as they think fit to adopt.

But every such marriage shall be solemnized in the presence of some Marriage Registrar  (to whom  shall  be  delivered  such  certificate  or  certificates  as  aforesaid),  and  of two or more credible witnesses besides the Marriage Registrar.

And  in  some  part  of  the  ceremony each of  the  parties  declare  as  follows,  or  to  the like effect:—

“I do  not solemnly declare  that  I  know not of any  lawful  impediment why  I, A.B., may not be joined in matrimony to C.D.”

And  each  of  the  parties  shall  say  to  the  other  as  follows  or  to  the  like  effect:-“I call upon  these  persons  here  present  to  witness  that  I,A.B.  do  take  the,  C.D.,  to  be  my  lawful wedded wife [or husband].

52. When Marriage not had within two months after notice, new notice required.- Whenever   a   marriage   is   not   solemnize   the   marriage   nor   shall  any  Marriage Registrar enter  the  same,  until,  new  notice  has  been  given,  and  entry  made,  and  certificate  thereof given, at the time and the manner aforesaid.

53. Marriage Registrar may ask for particulars to be registered.— A Marriage Registrar before  whom  any  marriage  is  solemnized  under  this  Part  may  ask  of  the  persons  to  be married  the  several particulars  required  to  be  registered  touching such marriage.

54. Registration of marriage solemnized under Part V.— After the solemnization   of   any marriage   under   this   Part,   the   Marriage   Registrar   present   at   such solemnization shall forthwith   register   the   marriage   in   duplicate   that   is   to   say,   in   a marriage-register-book, according  to  the  form of  the Schedule  hereto  annexed,  and  also  in a certificate attached to the marriage-book as a counterfoil.

The  entry  of  such marriage  in  both  the  certificate  and  the marriage-register-  book shall be  signed  by  the  person  by  or  before  whom  the  marriage  has  been  solemnized,  if there   be any   such   person,   and   by   the  Marriage  Registrar   present  at   such  marriage, whether  or not  it  is  solemnized  by   him,  and  also  by  the  parties married,  and  attested  by  two   credible witness   other   than   the  Marriage   Registrar   and   person  solemnizing   the marriage.

Every  such  entry  shall  be  made  in  order  from  the  beginning  to  the  end  of  the book, and   the number of  the certificate   shall  correspond  with  that  of  the   entry  in  the marriage-register-book.

55. Certificates to be sent monthly to Registrar General.— The  marriage shall  forthwith separate  the  certificate  from  the  marriage-register-book  and  send  it,  at  the end  of  every month, to the Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Custody of register-book. The Marriage Registrar shall keep safely the said register-book until  it   is   filled,   and   shall  then  send   it   to   the   Registrar  General  of  Births, Deaths  and Marriages, to be kept by him with the records of his office.

56. Officers to whom Registrars in Acceding  States  shall  send  certificate.— The Marriage   Registrar   in   Acceding   States   shall   send   the   certificates   mentioned   in section 54  to  such  officers  as  the  Central Government  from  time  to  time  by  notification  in  the official Gazette appoints in this behalf.

57. Registrar to ascertain that notice and certificate are understood by native Christians.— When  any  Native  Christian  about  to  be  married  gives  a  notice  of marriage, or  applies  for  a  certificate  from a Marriage  Registrar,  such Marriage  Registrar shall  ascertain whether   the  said  Native  Christian  understands   the  English  language,  and,  if  he  does  not, the Marriage  Registrar  shall translate,  or cause  to  be  translated,  such notice or  certificate,   or both  of   them  as   the   case  may  be,   to   such  Native  Christian  into  a language which he understands;

Or the Marriage Registrar shall  otherwise ascertain  whether the  Native  Christian  is cognizant of the purport and effect of the said notice and certificate.

58. Native Christian  to be made to understand declarations.— When  any  Native Christian  is  married  under   the  provisions  of  this  Part,  the  person  solemnizing  the marriage shall  ascertain  whether  such  Native  Christian  understands   the  English  language, and   if   he does   not,   the   person   solemnizing   the  marriage   shall,   at   the   time   of   the solemnization translate,   or   cause   to be translated,  to such Native Christian,   into   a language   which   he understands,   the   declarations  made   at  such  marriage   in  accordance with  the provision of this Act.

59. Registrar of marriage between Native Christian.— The   registration  of  marriage between  Native   Christian  under   this   Part  shall  be  made  in  conformity  with  the  rules  laid down in section 37 (so far as they applicable), and not otherwise.



60. On  what  conditions  marriages  of  Native  Christian  may  be  certificated.— Every marriage   between Native Christians applying for a certificate  shall without the preliminary  notice required  under  Part III be certified under  this  Part,  if  the  following conditions to be fulfilled, and not otherwise:—

(1) the  age  of  the man  intending  to  be married  shall  exceed  sixteen  years,  and the age of the woman intending to be married shall exceed thirteen years.

(2) Neither   of   the   persons   intending   to   be   married   shall   have   a   wife   or husband still living;

(3) In  the  presence  of  a  person  licensed  under  section  9,  and  of  at  least  two credible  witnesses  other  than  such  person,  each  of  the  parties shall say  to the other.

“I call upon these persons here present to witness that I, A.B. in the presence  of  Almighty God,  and  in  the  name  of our  Lord  Jesus Christ,  do take  thee, C.D.,  to  be my  lawful wedded wife  [or husband]” or words  to the like effect:—

Provided  that  no  marriage  shall  be  certified  under  this  Part  when  either  of  parties intending to be   married has not completed his  or her eighteenth years,  unless such consent  as is mentioned  in  section  19  has  been  given  to  the  intended marriage,  or  unless  it appears that there is no person living authorized to give such consent.

61. Grant  of  certificate.— When,  in  respect  to  any  marriage  solemnized  under  this  Part, the  conditions,  prescribed  in  section  60  have  been  fulfilled,  the  person  licensed as   aforesaid, in   whose   presence    the   said   declaration   has   been  made,   shall,   on   the application  of either  of  the  parties  to  such  marriage,  and  on  the  payment  of  a  fee  of  four annas, grant a certificate of the marriage.

The  certificate shall  be signed by  such  licensed  person,  and  shall  be  received  in any suit   touching   the   validity   of   such   marriage   as   conclusive   proof  of  its   having  been performed.

62. Keeping of register-book and deposit of extract therefrom with  Registrar.— (1) Every person  licensed  under  section  9  shall  keep   in  English,  or  in  the vernacular   language in   ordinary    use   in  the   district  or  State   in  which  the  marriage  was solemnized,   and   in such  form  as   the  Provincial  Government  by  which  he  was   licensed may  from  time   to   time prescribe,  a   register-book  of  all Marriage  solemnized  under  this Part   in  his  presence,  and shall  deposit  in  the  territories  under  the  administration  of  the said  Provincial Government  in such  form  and   at   such  intervals   as   the  Government  may  prescribe,   true  and  duly authenticated  extracts  from  his  register-book  of  all  entries  made therein since the last of those intervals.

(2) Where the  person  keeping  the  register-book  was  licensed  as  regards  and acceding  State  by  the  Central  Government,  references  in  sub-section  (1) to  the  Provincial Government  therein  mentioned  shall  be  read  as  references  to  the  Provincial Government to whose  Registrar  General  of  Births,  Deaths  and  Marriages  certified  copies  of  entries  in registers of births and  deaths are  for  the  time  being  required  to  be  sent under section 24, sub-section (2) of the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act, 1886.

63. Searches in register-book  and copies  of  entries.— Every  person  licensed under   his Act   to   grant  certificates   of  marriages   and   keeping  a  marriage-register-book under  section 62,  shall,  at  all  reasonable  times  allow  search  to  be made  in such book,  and shall payment of the proper fee, five a copy, certified under his hand, of entry therein.

64. Books in which marriages of native Christians under Part  I  or  Part III  are registered.— The  provisions  of  sections  62  and  63,  as  to  the  form  of  the  register-  book, depositing  extracts   therefrom,  allowing  searches   thereof,  and   giving  copies  of  the entries therein, shall, mutandis, apply to the books under section 37.

65. Part  VI not  to  apply  to  Roman Catholics,  saving  of  certain marriages.— This  Part of  this  act,  except  so  much  of  sections  62  and  63  as  are  referred  to  in section 64 shall   not apply   to   marriages   between   Roman   Catholics.   But   nothing   herein   contained shall invalidate   any marriage celebrated   between  Roman  Catholics  under   the  provisions of  Part invalidate  any marriage  celebrated  between Roman Catholics  under  the  provisions of Part V of Act No. XXV of 1864, previous to the twenty-third day of February, 1865.



66. False oath, declaration, notice or certificate for procuring marriage.— Whoever,  for the purpose of procuring a marriage or license of marriage, intentionally,—

(a) where  an  oath  or  declaration  is  required  by  this  Act,  or  by  any  rule  or custom of  a   Church  according   to   the   rites   and  ceremonies  of  which  a marriage   is intended   to   be   solemnized, such  Church  being  the  Church  of England  or  of Rome, makes a false oath or declaration, or,

(b) Where  a  notice  or  certificate  is  required  by  this  Act,  signs  a  false  notice  or certificate.

Shall be  deemed  to  have  committed  the  offence  punishable  under  section  193  of the  Pakistan Penal Code  with  imprisonment  of either description  for a  term which may extend to three years and, at the discretion of the Court, with fine.

67. Forbidding, by false personation, issue of certificate by Marriage  Registrar.— Whoever  forbids  the  issue,  by  a  Marriage  Registrar,  of  a  certificate,  by  falsely  representing himself  to   be   a   person  whose   consent   to   the  marriage  is  required  by  law,  knowing  or believing  such  representation  to  be  false  or  not  having  reason  to  believe  it  to be   true,  shall be  deemed  guilty  of  the  offence  described  in  section  205 of  the  Pakistan Penal Code.

68. Solemnizing marriage without due authority.— Whoever,  not being authorized   by section  5   of  this  Act to solemnize  marriages,   solemnizes or professes   to solemnized   the absence   of   a   Marriage Registrar   of  the   district   in  which  the   ceremony  takes   place.

Marriage  between  persons  one  or  both  of  whom  is  or  are  a  Christian  or Christians,  shall punished  with   imprisonment  which  may  extend  to  ten  years,  (in  lieu  of  a sentence   of imprisonment   for   seven  years   or   upwards)with  transportation  for   a   term  of not  less  than seven years, and not exceeding ten years, and shall also be liable to fine.

69. Solemnizing marriage out of proper time, or without witnesses.— Whoever knowingly  and  willfully  solemnizes  a marriage  between  persons  one  or  both  of whom  is or are a  Christian  or   Christians,  at  any  time  other  than  between  the  hours  of  six  in   the   morning and   seven   in   the   evening,   or   in   the   absence   of  at   least   two  credible witnesses   other than   the   person   solemnizing   the   marriage,   shall   be   punished   with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Saving of  marriages  solemnized  under  special  license.  This  section  does  not  apply  in marriages   solemnized   under   special   licenses   granted   by   the   Anglican   Bishop   of  the

Diocese  or  by  his Commissary,  nor  to marriages  performed  between  the  hours  of seven  in the evening  and  six  in  the  morning  by Clergyman  of  the  Church  of Rome,  when  he  has received the general or special license in that behalf mentioned in section 10.

Nor does this section apply to marriages solemnized by a Clergyman of the Church Scotland according  to  the  rules,  rites,  ceremonies  and  customs  of  the  Church  of Scotland.

70. Solemnizing without notice or within fourteen days after notice marriage with minor.— Any  Minister  of  Religion  licensed   to  solemnize  marriages  under this  Act,  who,  without  a notice  in  writing,  or,  when  one  of  the  parties  to  the  marriage  is  a minor  and  the   required consent of  the parents of guardians  to  such marriage has not been obtain within  fourteen  days after   the  receipt  by  him  of  notice  of  such  marriage  knowingly  and   willfully   solemnizes a marriage   under  Part   II,  shall  be  punished  with  imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years, and shall also be liable to fine.

71. Issuing certificate, or marrying without publication of notice; marrying after expiry of notice solemnizing marriage with  minor  within  fourteen  days without authority of Court or without sending copy of notice; issuing certificate against authorized prohibition.— A  Marriage  Registrar  under  this  Act,  who commits any of the following offences:—

(1) knowingly   and   willfully   issues   any   certificate   for  marriage,   or   solemnize any marriage,  without  publishing  the  notice  of  such marriage  as  directed by this Act;

(2) after   the   expiration  of  two  months  after  the  copy  of  the  notice  has  been entered  as  required  by  section  40  in  respect  of any marriage,  solemnizes such marriage.

(3) Solemnizes,   without   any   order   of  a   competent  Court  authorizing  him  to do so,   any  marriage,  when  one   of  the   parties   is   a  minor,   before   the expiration  of  fourteen days  after  the  receipt  of  the  notice  of  such  marriage,  or  without  sending,  by  the   post  or otherwise,  a  copy of such marriage,  or without  sending,  by  the  post  or  otherwise,  a  copy  of such  notice  to  the Senior   Marriage   Registrar   of   the   district   if   there   be   more   Marriage Registrars   of   the   district   than   one,   and   if  he   himself  be   not   the   Senior Marriage Registrar;

(4) Issue  any  certificate  the  issue  of  which  had  been  prohibited,  as  in  this  Act provided, by any person authorized to prohibit the issue thereof,

Shall  be  punished  with  imprisonment  for  a  term,  which  may  extend  to  five  years, and shall also be liable to fine.

72. Issuing certificate after  expiry  of notice, or, in case  of minor within fourteen  days after  notice,  or  against  authorized  prohibition.— Any  Marriage  Registrar knowingly   and willfully   issuing   any   certificate   for  marriage   after   the   expiration   of   two months after  the notice has been entered by him as aforesaid,

or knowingly   and   willfully   issuing,   without   the   order   of   a   competent   Court authorizing  him  so  to  do,  any  certificate  for  marriage,  where  one  of  the  parties  intending marriage  is  a  minor,  before  the  expiration  of  fourteen  days  after  the  entry  of  such  notice, or any   certificate   the   issue   of   which   has   been   forbidden   as   aforesaid   by  any  person authorized  in his behalf, shall  be  deemed  to  have  committed  an  offence  under  section  166  of the Pakistan Penal Code.

73. Persons authorized to solemnize marriage.— (other than Clergy of Churches of England, Scotland or Rome); Issuing certificate or marrying, without publishing   notice, or other expiry  of  certificate;   issuing   certificate for,  or  solemnizing marriage with  minor; within fourteen days after notice;  issuing  certificate authorizedly forbidden; solemnizing marriage authorizedly forbidden. Whoever, being authorized under  this Act  to  solemnize  a marriage, and not being a Clergyman of the Church of  England, solemnizing  a marriage after  due  publication  of  bans,  or under  a  license  from  the  Anglican  Bishop  of  the  Diocese or a Surrogate duly authorized in that behalf.

Or not being a Clergyman of the Church of Scotland, solemnizing  a  marriage according to the rules, rites, ceremonies and customs of that Church,

Or, not being a Clergyman of the Church of Rome, solemnizing a marriage according to the rites, rules, ceremonies and customs of that Church,

Knowingly   and   willfully   issues   any   certificate   for   marriage   under   this   Act,   or solemnizes   any   marriage   between   such   persons   as   aforesaid,   without   publishing,   or causing  to  be  affixed,  the  notice  of  such marriage  as  directed  in  Part  III  of  this  Act,  or after the expiration of two months after the certificate has been issued by him.

Or knowingly and willfully   issues   any   certificate   fro   marriage,   or   solemnizes   a marriage   between  such  persons  when  one  of  the  persons  intending  marriage  is  a  minor, before   the   expiration   of   fourteen  days   after   the   receipt  of  notice   of  such  marriage,   or without   sending,   by   the   post   or   otherwise,   a   copy   of   such   notice   to   the  Marriage Registrar,   or,   if   there   be  more  Marriage  Registrars   than  one,   to   the  Senior  Marriage Registrar of the district;

Or knowingly   and   willfully   issues   any   certificate   the   issue   of  which   has   been forbidden under this Act, by any person authorized forbid the issue;

Or knowingly   and   willfully   solemnizes   any   marriage   forbidden   by   any   person authorized to forbid the same;

Shall  be punished  with  imprisonment  for  a  term  which  may  extend  to  four  years and shall also be liable to fine.

74. Unlicensed person granting certificate pretending to be licensed.— Whoever,  not being  licensed  to  grant  a  certificate  of  marriage  under  Part  VI  of  this  Act,  grants   such certificate   intending  thereby  to  make   it  appear  that  he   is   licensed,  shall  be punished  with imprisonment   for  a   term  which  may  extend   to  five  years,  and  shall  be liable to fine.

Whoever,   being   licensed   to  grant  certificates  of  marriage  under  Part  VI  of  this Act, without  just  cause  refuses,  or willfully  neglects  or  omits,  to  perform  any  of  the  duties imposed upon   him   by  that  Part   shall  be   punished  with  fine  which  may  extend   to   one hundred rupees.

75. Destroying  or  falsifying  register  books.— Whoever,  by  himself  or  another willfully destroys  or  injures  any  register-book  or  the  counterfoil  certificate  thereof,  or  any part thereof, or any authenticated extract therefrom,

or falsely makes or counterfeits any part of such register-book or counterfoil certificates,

or willfully inserts any false entry in any such register-book or  counterfoil certificate  or authenticated extract,

shall  be  punished  with  imprisonment  for  a  term which may  extend  to  seven  years, and shall also be liable to fine.

76. Limitation of prosecutions under this Act.— The prosecution  for every offence punishable  under  this  Act  shall be  commenced  within  two  years after  the  offence is committed.



77. What matters need not be proved in respect of marriage in accordance with Act.— Whenever  any marriage  has  been  solemnized  in  accordance  with the   provision   of   sections 4   and 5, it shall   not   be   void  merely   on  account   of  any irregularity in respect of any of the following matters, namely:—

(1) any  statement  made  in  regard  to  the  dwelling  of  the  persons  married,  or to  the consent of any person whose consent to such marriage is required by law:—

(2) the notice of the marriage.

(3) The certificate or translation thereof:

(4) The time and place at which the marriage has been solemnized:

(5) The registration of the marriage.

78. Correction of errors.— Every  person  charged  with  the  duty  of  registering any marriage who  discovers  any  error  in  the  form or  substance  of any  such  entry, may within  one  month next  after  the  discovery  of  such  error,  in  the  presence  of  the  persons married,   correct  the error,  by  entry  in  the  margin, without any  alteration  of  the  original entry,  and  shall  sign  the marginal  entry,  and  add  thereto  the  date  of  such  correction,  and such person shall make  the like marginal entry in the certificate thereof.

And every entry made  under  this  section  shall  be  attested  by  the  witnesses  in whose presence it was made.

And   in   case   such  certificate   has   been  already  sent   to   the  Registrar  General  of Births,  Deaths  and  Marriages  such  person  shall  make  and  send  in  like  manner  a  separate certificate of the original erroneous entry, and of the marginal correction therein made.

79. Searches and copies of entries.— Every person  solemnizing  a marriage under this Act, and hereby required to register the same, and Every Marriage Registrar or Registrar General of Births Deaths and Marriages having  the   custody  for   the   time   being  of  any  register  of marriages  or  of any certificate, or duplicate or copies of certificate, under this Act,

shall on  payment  of  the proper  fees,  at all  reasonable  times,  allow searches  to  be made in  such  register, or for such certificate, or duplicate,  or  copies,  and  give  a  copy under his hand of an entry in the same.

80. Certified  copy  of  entry  in marriage-register, etc.,  to  be  evidence.— Every certified copy,   purporting  to   be   signed   by  the  person  entrusted  under  this  Act  with  the custody of any   marriage-register or  certificate, or duplicate, required to be kept or  delivered   under   this Act,  of  an  entry  of  a marriage in such register, or of  any  such certificate  or  duplicate  shall be received  as  evidence  of  the  marriage  purporting  to  be  so entered,  or  of  the  facts  purporting to  be  so  certified  therein,  without  further  proof  of  such  register or certificate or duplicate, or of any entry therein, respectively or of such copy.

81. Certificates of certain marriages for Central Government.— The Register General of Births,   Deaths, and   Marriages   and   the   officers   appointed   under section  56  shall,  at  the end  of  every  quarter  in  each  year,  select,  from  the  certificates  of marriages   forwarded   to them,   respectively,   during   such   quarter,   the   certificates   of   the marriages  of  which  the Government  by  whom  he  was  appointed  may  desire  that  evidence shall   be   transmitted   to England,   and   shall  send   the   same   certificate,   signed   by   them respectively, to the Central Government.

82. Provincial Government  to prescribe  fees.— Fees  shall be  chargeable  under  this Act for- receiving   and   publishing  notices   of  marriages;   issuing  certificates   for   marriage   by Marriage Registrars, and registering marriages by the same;

entering protests against, or prohibitions of, the issue of  certificates  for  marriage by  the said Registrars;

searching register-books or certificates, or duplicates of copies thereof, giving  copies  of entries in the same under sections 63 and 79.

The  Provincial Government shall fix the amount of such fees respectively

And  may  from  time  to  time  vary  or  remit  them  either  generally  or  in  special  cases as it may seem fit.

83. Power to make rules.— The Provincial Government may make rules in  regard  to  the disposal  of  the  fees  mentioned  in  sections  82,  the  supply  of  register-books, and  the preparation and submission of returns of marriages solemnized under this Act.

84. Power  to prescribe fees and rules for Acceding  States.— The  powers conferred  on the  Provincial  Government  by  section  82  and  83  shall,  so  far  as  regards Acceding States, be exercised by the Central Government.

85. Power to declare who shall be District Judge.— The Provincial Government may, by notification  in  the  official Gazette,  declare  who  shall,  in  any  place to which this Act applies, be deemed to be the District Judge.

86. Powers  and  functions  exercisable  as  regards Acceding States.— (1) The powers and functions exercisable by the Central Government under section 6, 8, 9, 47, 48, 56  and  84  shall  so far as regards any  Acceding  State  which  is  within  the political charge of a Provincial government be exercisable by that Provincial Government. The exercise under   this section  by  any  Provincial  government  of  powers and   functions   under   sections   6,8,9   and 56  shall  be  by  notification  in  the  local  official Gazette.

(2) The powers and functions exercisable under this Act by the  Central Government may  be  delegated  to  and  exercised  by  such  officers  as  it may  from  time  to time appoint in this behalf.

87. Saving of consular marriage.— Nothing  in  this  Act  applies  to  any marriage performed by  any  Minister, Consul or Consular Agent between subjects   of  the  State which he represent and according to the laws of such State.

88. Non-validation  of  marriages within prohibited degrees.— Nothing in this Act shall  be deemed  to  validate  any  marriage,  which  the  personal  law  applicable  to  either  of  the  parties forbids him or her to enter into.